Monday, August 31, 2009

The Conversations: Quentin Tarantino (Part I)


It is with great, well, trepidation that I announce that the (first part) of the eighth edition of The Conversations is live at The House Next Door. Why trepidation? Because the subject this time around is Quentin Tarantino. Given that movie fans have spent the past week-plus binging on Tarantino content across the blogosphere, I fear that yet another QT piece will be as welcome as a turkey dinner a week after Thanksgiving. But we’ll find out. Tarantino has a way of sparking interest long after fatigue has set in, so I’m hopeful.

In Part I, Ed Howard and I look back over Tarantino’s career in the final moments before Inglourious Basterds became part of the permanent record with its national release August 21. At some point we discuss Reservoir Dogs (1992), Pulp Fiction (1994), Jackie Brown (1997), Kill Bill: Vol 1 (2003) and Vol 2 (2004) and Death Proof (2007). We also discuss Tarantino’s chapter of Four Rooms (1995). That said, we don’t take a strict film-by-film approach, often sticking to larger themes rather than dissecting the films as individual entities. In Part II, which will post Wednesday, we discuss Inglourious Basterds.

As always, Ed and I hope that our conversation is the starting point for a larger discussion. I realize many of you have Tarantino fatigue, but I hope you’ll give our latest effort a read. Please leave any comments at The House Next Door.

Previous Editions of The Conversations:

David Fincher (January 2009)
Mulholland Dr. (February 2009)
Overlooked - Part I: Undertow (March 2009)
Overlooked - Part II: Solaris (March 2009)
Star Trek (May 2009)
Werner Herzog (May 2009)
Errol Morris (July 2009)
Michael Mann (August 2009)